Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Impossible

Were you ever told as a child what was and wasn't impossible?
Did you ever say, "Daddy, I want to invent a time machine!" or, "Mommy, I want to fly without a plane!" Did you ever say anything like that?
I did.
Most of the time the adults I was talking to would look at me, smile, and say, "Okay, you do that. :D" or, "How exciting! :D How are you going to do it?"
But sometimes, I'd have a really fantastic idea. One that would absolutely change the entire course of history and mankind. I'd even have a mechanism for my idea. Granted, the usually naive type of mechanism that comes from a child's brain, but a mechanism anyway. I'd get excited and share my idea only to have some adult or another say, "Oh no, child. You can't do that. That's impossible." and then site some law of physics or something. So I'd look at them, and say, "Okay, watch me." as is the nature of many children. Then I'd go to work on how to do it. But the harder the work got, the deeper the thinking and learning, the more I'd realize how far I had to go, and the more that voice would echo, "Oh no, child. You can't do that. That's impossible." And every time I heard it, I started to rationalize the idea of quitting. "Well, this will take too long. And I never really wanted it anyway." Or, "Meh, they're right. I'm too young anyway." And I'd never give my idea the time it deserved. Thus, over time, my ideas became only ideas. Nothing more. Because I was told by everyone around me whether by direct speech or means more subtle that my ideas couldn't work. So I stopped believing too.
What would have happened if I was never told that anything I believed was impossible? How would my life have changed? To be honest, probably not at all. I probably would have never finished a single one. But do you know what I would have? I would know for sure that whether I failed or succeeded, the people I shared my ideas with would believe in my ability to achieve the impossible. That's a simple knowledge that goes a long way. More than just childhood whims. That knowledge carries on into adulthood. Into everything a person does for the rest of their lives, knowing that somebody believes in them will push them past where they would normally go. That's important.
So, to the great thinkers, dreamers, and minds of the world today. Young and old, free and enslaved, rich and poor.
Silence the critics.
It doesn't matter what they say to you. It doesn't matter what they think of what you are doing.
Do it anyway.
Love them, and be polite. But when it comes right down to them getting in your face and telling you that it will never work, silence them.
They are not worth your time.
Instead surround yourself with other great minds. People in search of the impossible just as you are. Find the people that are willing to challenge everything, even to the existence of God itself, and never deny truth no matter the results. They will uplift you. They will help you. They will inspire you to greater things than you ever thought possible. In their presence, you will find truth.
And never, ever, tell someone what is or isn't impossible, because with those words you shape a person's belief in themselves to achieve.

Most importantly of all remember this.
Never tell a child what is or isn't possible, for chances are by the time they grow up, it will have happened. If you tell them that anything at all is not possible, you take away much of their potential to create and achieve.

Now go find the impossible.

No comments :

Post a Comment