Monday, December 16, 2013

Like Hyenas

Like hyenas they laugh at me.
They laugh because I'm different.
Because I don't go to public school. Because I don't laugh at the dirty jokes. Because I don't laugh at other people's faults.
They laugh at me because I practice harder than they do. Because I work harder than they do. Because I choose to not give in to mediocrity. Because I'm a gentleman. Because I'm kind and caring and polite and righteous, they laugh at me.
They laugh at me because I choose not to give in to the easy way. The way of darkness and sin.
And like hyenas, they travel in packs, or groups.
And I feel alone.
Those groups make me feel insecure. They make me feel secluded and like I don't fit in. They look like they're having fun, and make me feel like I'm not. Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be worth it to join them.
But then... I see them sometimes when they are alone. Then they don't look so happy. In fact, they look absolutely miserable. Because they have to look at the past and see the harm that they have done. The distraught faces and the broken spirits of the victims of their humor. Is that what I want? Do I want to look at my past and see only broken people and broken lives?
And yet, this is a style of living that can be more easily lived than any other time in the history of the Earth. If I wanted to, I never would have to be disconnected from my friends. I never would have to be alone. And even if I did manage to be alone, I would always have the latest game to keep me busy.
And yet... What happens when I lose my phone, or my laptop, or my tablet? What if it breaks? Or, somehow everything goes... Off. And it won't come back on. Where will I be then? What will happen to the fake reality that I live in? What will happen when my virtual pack of friends disappears? How will I be treated now that I am all alone, without my pack behind me?
I don't know the answers to these questions, but I do have theories. And they're not good things. They are lives spent in loneliness, despair, and regret.
So maybe it's not worth it after all.
It's not my choice though, it's up to you.
Are you willing to do the hard things, and persevere in right and truth?
Is it worth it?
I think so.

1 comment :