Sunday, March 17, 2013

You Could be Great. Why Aren't You?

Yesterday I was in Salt Lake City and I felt kind of bad for the whole race of humanity. We went to a mall and there was so much immodesty. I mean, I know that immodesty is a social norm nowadays, and that some people don't even believe that there is anything wrong with it. But seriously ladies, (And some guys too) cover up. It's hard for a guy to keep his mind out of the gutter when you're flaunting parts of your body that are sacred. If you want respect, you can get it by dressing modestly.
This wasn't the only thing I saw at the mall that saddened me. There was a man holding a cardboard sign that read, "Need money. Too ugly to prostitute." and it said something else that I can't remember. But I thought, how sad. This man, this man who has worth. Who someone has loved. Who has loved other people. Who has had dreams just like you and I of being famous or powerful or even just being happy. Who probably has the potential to be a great employee or even entrepreneur. This man has the power to revolutionize the world. And yet he stands next to the mall asking for money because he can't prostitute. I tried not to judge him too harshly on this, because this man probably doesn't know about himself what I just told you. He probably doesn't realize exactly how much he could do. That is why I felt sorry for this man. 
There was other people too. People in wheelchairs that clearly were not faking not being able to stand. And everybody walked right past them. Nobody even bothered to stop and ask if any of these people could use help with anything at all. Now, I'm not going to say that I gave to every homeless person on the street, because I didn't. In fact, I didn't give to any of them. I should be ashamed of myself. But I was too busy thinking about my own problems. My trivial problems of how I looked and smelled for the dance that evening. What I was going to wear, and how long my companions were taking buying new clothing. I've decided that next time I'm going to buy a meal for every homeless person I see. Because that's what I'd want if it were me. 
It made me sad that, in one point during the dance, I stepped outside with one of my dear friends for a minute just to talk alone, and I couldn't see more than 100 stars in the sky. The air was too dirty. 
It made me sad that in such a magnificent place with so many good people and so many ideas and dreams that had been fulfilled, I could feel so lonely.
I want to change these things. I want the world to be a better place. I want people to love each other and care about each other. But I cannot do it alone. If you read this, give the next homeless person you see a meal. Politely tell a girl that she looks better in more modest clothing. Ask someone that you don't know about themselves. Get to know them. And really care about them.
What will you do? How will you be remembered? How can you change somebody else's life?
Help other people. Get your dream. Go be awesome. 
"Man becomes great exactly in the degree in which he works for the welfare of his fellow-men."
-Gandhi

2 comments :

  1. Ward. I don't know whether to laugh, cry or punch you. Here's why I would do any of them:

    Laugh-- You actually thing about how you look and smelled for a dance? ;) That's great dude. That's great.... You are so much the opposite of Nando. :D

    Cry--Your post was soooo beautiful. You've got your head on straight kid.

    Punch you-- (I would prefer this option). Because how can you play such horrible nasty tricks on me then write such a beautiful heartfelt thing?! ;) jk....I don't mind too much all those things you and Riley did...haha...but I still wouldn't mind punching you.

    <3 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a mature post - very impressed. I am excited to check out the rest of this beautiful blog. :)

    ReplyDelete