Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Unseen Value of Failure

Many times, I think, people forget the great value of failure.
Let us first define failure. According to thefreedictionary.com, failure is this.
fail·ure  (flyr)

n.
1. The condition or fact of not achieving the desired end or ends: the failure of an experiment.
2. One that fails: a failure at one's career.
3. The condition or fact of being insufficient or falling short: a crop failure.
4. A cessation of proper functioning or performance: a power failure.
5. Nonperformance of what is requested or expected; omission: failure to report a change of address.
6. The act or fact of failing to pass a course, test, or assignment.
7. A decline in strength or effectiveness.
8. The act or fact of becoming bankrupt or insolvent.


Notice that the words finished or done or any of their synonyms are not in any of those definitions.
Failure is simply the opportunity to go try something else. Just because you fail at one thing doesn't mean you can't be excellent in another.
This reminds me of a song that my brothers and I sing on occasion. It is called, "A Barber's Tale."
It goes like this:
There once was a young lad named Jimmy Mcgiver.
Who longed with a passion to be a high diver.
The platform each day he would climb to the top.
But each time attempted, would just bellyflop.
So Jimmy decided this wasn't his flair,
and switched his ambition to cutting folks hair.
An odd change of interests that's certainly true.
But would you believe it - That boy sure came through.
Now people come from far and near.
To see the barber of the year.
He couldn't dive to save his hide -
But his talent with hair can't be denied.
(To the tune of "Jimmy Cracks Corn, But He Don't Care")
Jimmy lacks form, but he cuts hair!
Jimmy lacks form, but he cuts hair!
Jimmy lacks form, but he cuts hair like no one else can do.

And the song continues from there. But do you see the point? Even though it is a very silly song, there is something to learn from it. Jimmy absolutely failed at diving, but instead of simply quitting and saying I'll never be any good, he found what he was good at - No matter how odd it was.
Failure has been one of the many great driving forces in my life. In wrestling, hatred of failure has pushed me past where I ever thought I could go. It has made me great. And, the many times I have failed, I stood up again. Let us ponder for a moment where I would be if I had never failed. If I had never failed, I would have a perfect wrestling record. I would be a straight A's student. I would have won every music and art competition I have ever entered and my entries in the fair would have all gotten 1st prize. And none of it would mean anything to me.
Failure has taught me what success means. Without failure there can be no success.
I heard once that most millionaires go bankrupt 3 times before they finally get rich. I absolutely believe it. So next time I see an opportunity, I'm going to take it. And if I do fail, there are still 999,999 opportunities for me to find. I am no longer going to sit back and simply wait for an easier opportunity. Because if the work is not hard, the payment is taken lightly. And payment taken lightly is wasted. So I'm going to stop worrying about what could go wrong, and start focusing on what could go right. Because that's how success comes. And, if I do fail, I'll pick up the pieces and move on. There are a million opportunities in this world, I'm going to go find one. Hey, you should come too! :)





3 comments :

  1. Dallin, you have no idea how much I needed this right now. Thanks for being you! I love your guts ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, Ward. It came at a really good time. :)
    P.S., your blog is awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete