Monday, February 10, 2014

Why I Love The Life of a Cowboy

So... I'm not a cowboy. I'm really not. But I've been there. I've been on the roundups and to the cattle branding. I've seen the sunsets - and rises - as a long day of work begins or ends. I've had my fair share of frustration with that one stubborn cow, and also my fair share of peace and joy as I unsaddle my horse for the day at softly tell him what a good job he did. I haven't seen all of it, but I've seen a lot of what being a cowboy is like. And I love it.
There's a song entitled The Night Rider's Lament that seems to speak what I think on this subject. It goes like this:


Last night as I was out a ridin'
graveyard shift, midnight ‘till dawn
the moon was as bright as a readin’ light
for a letter from an old friend back home

Chorus:
He asked me why do you ride for your money
Why do you rope for short pay
You ain’t getting’ nowhere
And you’re losin’ your share
Boy, you must have gone crazy out there
But he’s never seen the Northern Lights
Never seen a hawk on the wing
He’s never seen Spring hit the Great Divide
And never heard Ol’ Camp Cookie sing

He tells me last night I run onto Jenny
she’s married and has a good life
Ah, you sure missed the track
when you never come back
she’s a perfect professional’s wife

Chorus:
She asked him why does he ride for his money
Why does he rope for short pay
He ain’t getting’ nowhere and he’s losin’ his share
He must have gone crazy out there
But she’s never seen the Northern Lights
Never seen a hawk on the wing
Never seen Spring hit the Great Divide
And never heard Ol’ Camp Cookie sing

Well I read up the last of that letter
and tore off the stamp for Black Jim
When Billy rode up to relieve me
he just looked at the letter and grinned

Chorus:
He sang . . .Now. . . 
Why do they ride for their money
Why do they rope for short pay
They ain’t getting nowhere
And they’re losing their share
Son, they all must be crazy out there

The audio to this song can be found here.

There are just so many things I love about cowboys, and how they live. Just look around. Their art is beautiful. Their songs have meaning, and their poetry is amazing.
Look at this.


It looks so peaceful, so serene. 
Now, it's hard to put all cowboys under one definition. In fact, it's not possible. But, most of them seem to live by a few important principles that the world lacks today.
Honesty.
Hard Work.
Honor.
Loyalty.
Determination.
Righteousness.
But most importantly,
Faith in God.
The life of a true cowboy is so simple. They lack many worldly possessions which tie other people down. In reality, they are free. Really, truly, free.
Doesn't that sound wonderful?
Well, it's time for me to stop dreaming now and go bed, which is terribly ironic, but think about this for a moment.
The life of a cowboy cannot be attained by everyone. It really can't. The simple, peaceful lifestyle of a cowboy is for a select few, and may God bless them. But look around for a moment and ponder what you could do to simplify your life. What could you do to make your life more fulfilling, more free? Whether it be something as big as getting out of debt, or something as small as taking half an hour every day to walk in a local park or meditate somewhere in nature. It doesn't really matter what you do, the only thing that really matters is that you actually do it. May God bless you in all your worthy endeavors.
Now go do.

Love,
Dallin

No comments :

Post a Comment