Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thank you, Sarah McMann

I don't watch much UFC, MMA type of fighting. I think it's cool to watch every now and then, and certainly interesting, but I don't watch it much. 
As I was scrolling through my Facebook feed today, I saw this link shared about how two undefeated women's UFC stars, were going to fight on February 22. It looked interesting, so I clicked on the link and started reading about them. 
This is Ronda Rousey. 
She was an olympic bronze medalist in Judo in 2008. She's got an undefeated UFC career with 8 wins and 0 losses. That really, really gains my respect because those are hard things to do. 
Here is her opponent.
This is Sarah McMann.
She was an olympic silver medalist in freestyle wrestling in 2004. She also has an undefeated UFC career with 7 wins and 0 losses. Again, tons of respect. 

Being who I am, I wanted to choose a side on the fight so I looked up some information on the two of them - and was really disappointed with what I initially found.
I first googled the name, "Ronda Rousey" and clicked on the images link. It took me no time at all to figure out what kind of a person she is. To put it simply, she has sold herself out. She has allowed pictures of herself to be taken that are in no way appropriate. And it is revolting. 
All of the respect I had for Ronda Rousey disappeared in a moment. She went in my mind from being a great and respectable martial artist and fighter to being a (Excuse my language) slut.

After looking up Ms. Rousey, I was a little hesitant to look up Sarah McMann. But I did, and I am glad I did. She was modest. And I really appreciated that.
So to Sarah McMann, thank you. Thank you for not selling yourself out. Thank you for being a good role model to the youth. Thank you for doing what is right. 
God bless you, Sarah McMann. 
And go beat Ronda Rousey! :D

2 comments :

  1. Just looking at the light in their eyes reveals a lot. Ronda Rousey's picture looks like a mugshot. Sarah McMann looks like a champion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It has a lot to do with their fighting styles too. Ms. Rousey runs completely off of anger and hatred. Ms. Mcmann doesn't.

      Delete