Sunday, February 23, 2014

Untitled

I've been asked why I didn't go down to 106 pounds to wrestle this year. Why I went up to 113 instead. I mean, logically it makes sense to go down to 106. We did the math, and if I cut weight this year like I did last year, I'd make it. Last year by the end of the season, I was cutting from 111 to 98. This year I would have had to cut from 118 to 106. I really could have done it. If I made it, chances are I would take state no problem. I would be a state champion. The first Sophomore to take it from Malad High School. Taking state is one of my biggest goals. It's one of my dreams. I really, actually dream about it. I want it so bad. But do you know what I want more? I want to become good at life. I want to become a better person. And you don't become better at life by doing easy things. The people that are really, really good at life do the hardest things. So that's what I did. I went up to 113.
113 has been so much harder than 106 would have been. And it's been awesome for me. I have grown so much. Instead of having a 40 win - 2 or 3 loss record like I would have at 106, I have a 36 win - 11 loss record at 113. I've went from the pretty good wrestler that I was last year to the great wrestler I am this year. And as hard as it's been, as much pain as the losses have caused me to endure, it's been worth it.
State is this week. I'm going to go in ranked somewhere between #1 and #4. The rankings are a mess with some recent developments, so I could be anywhere in there. What I know is that whether I win state or I lose state, I've put my heart and soul into it. It's been worth it. I've become a better wrestler, but more importantly a better man. I'm becoming good at life.
So ready or not, here I come.

No comments :

Post a Comment