Friday, March 1, 2019

RootsTech, Repentance, and a Letter to Mr. Obama

Today I was thinking about RootsTech and the amazing things that are happening there. Following that train of thought, I began to wonder about what RootsTech could do to bring an even more interesting presenter and a wider audience to their venue in years to come. Then I thought, what if Barack Obama were to present at RootsTech? He's certainly got an interesting family history story, and he'd bring a wide venue of spectators to the conference.
Then I thought, oh no. He could never present at RootsTech. The outspoken conservative members of the Church may just boo him off the stage, and even if they didn't, they'd probably criticize him whether what he said at the conference had to do with what he did as president or not. That led me to another interesting question, one that has lead me to some introspection.

If Barack Obama were to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, would we accept him?

Would I accept him? Would my family accept him? If he showed up on our doorstep asking for help, would we give it to him? In my family, we're certainly not his political supporters, but could we be his brothers and sisters?
What about on a local level? What would be said of him in the ward that he would attend? What if he were called as bishop or elders quorum president? Would the members sustain him? Do we as members of the church have the moral strength to love and serve someone who most of us so strongly disagree with in such a profound way?
We should. Jesus said, "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;"
My friends, I have to repent. Perhaps we as a church need to repent. Even if it wasn't Barack Obama who joined the church, what if Hillary Clinton did? How about someone like Alex Jones, who is so disgustingly far on the other side of the political spectrum? Would we compromise our morals and values and promises to love God and our fellowmen in order to exclude these people? What kind of people does that make us then? Who would we become?
"Love thine enemies", Christ said.

Mr. Obama,
I disagree with you on a fundamental level that we may never see eye to eye about. I think that you did bad things to the country that my family and I love and live in. I think that because of you, I am less free as an American and that bothers me because I worry about the freedom of my unborn children. What will American freedom look like for them in 30 years? I think that you made it worse for them, but you are my brother and I am determined to love you.
I'm really sorry for all of the rude comments and jokes that I've made about you since you ran for president. I'm sorry that I criticized you. I'm sorry that I didn't look harder for something good about you.
I promise that if you ever come to my church or show up at my doorstep, I'll help you out how I can and I will treat you as my brother. Maybe while we're at it, we can go backpacking too and we can talk in the mountains where men can really speak and be heard, and maybe we could understand each other. Maybe we could even be friends, and maybe not. I'll love you anyway.
Take care, Mr. President. You're welcome in my home and my church, and I do hope that one day you get the chance to visit. Just don't plan on getting a cup of coffee with me.
Regards,
Dallin Ward

No comments :

Post a Comment