Sunday, November 9, 2014

I Will Try to Be Your Hero

The other day I received a letter from a friend of mine. It was so beautiful. Touching enough, in fact, that I took 4 days to think about it before I thought to respond. With permission from the author, I choose share it with you in this post. The letter goes like this:
Hey, Dallin.It's been a really, really long time since I've seen you in class, and I miss you. You're really cool.Anyway, I have this notebook that I keep a bunch of stuff in. Mostly it's aspirations, ideas, memories, and stuff that makes me happy. I have a section all about my heroes, and you're in it. There are so many admirable things about you, and I was able to recognize that from the first time I ever talked to you.I actually wrote about you in my notebook like two weeks after first realizing that you even exist. Reading what I wrote, I realize that I didn't know very much about you, and I still don't. But I was able to see that you have a depth that most people very seldom show, that you have beautiful ideals, and that you can change the world. That's all true. And also, I think you have a unique capacity to love. Not just like feelings, but true, deep love. That is so, so beautiful.Anyway, that's all I wanted to tell you.Have a good day. :)
This blog post is my response to that letter, because I don't know how else to respond.
My Dear Friend,
I do not know if I live up to everything you state in your letter. I feel like there are a million other people who would suit your list of heroes far better than do I. Somehow though... I am there. What a sobering feeling. I didn't know that I could be seen like that. To me I'm just... Me. I'm just another guy that lives and laughs and loves. I am Dallin Ward and I am going to change the world, but I didn't know that I could change yours. I didn't know that I could be your hero. In fact, I feel wholly inadequate to be called such. I'm there though. Thank you for that.
All this being said, here is what I come to.
I will try to be your hero. I will do my best to be a man worthy of such an honor. I will remember this letter in times of trial and temptation and I will press forward. I will glorify God, and I will stay worthy to be your hero.
I will not forget you.
All the love in my heart,
Dallin Ward

2 comments :

  1. Dallin I agre wholeheartedly with this letter. You're one of my Heroes too, although I hardly know you, you inspire me on a regular basis. I look up to you and in many ways want to be like you. Now go change that world man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to reiterate this entire letter. You truly are something special, Dallin. I hardly know you, but I think you inspire everyone you come in contact with. It's a rather marvelous gift of yours. Can I just be as cool as you when I grow up? :D

    ReplyDelete